What is a tooth implant?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root placed in the jawbone in the form of a screw to replace lost teeth. Missing or broken teeth can greatly affect your self-confidence, oral health, and digestive system. In Aesthway clinics, you can replace your missing or dysfunctional teeth with a multidisciplinary approach by maxillofacial surgeons, prosthesis, and periodontology specialist dentists under the highest level of sterilization protocols.
What are the advantages of tooth implants?
The reason why implants are widely used in dentistry is that they can be applied in a wide range of applications, from single tooth deficiencies to patients with no teeth at all. Another advantage is that the chewing sensation in implants is closest to normal and there is no risk of allergic reaction because it is made of tissue-friendly material. The possibility of treatment without interfering with neighboring teeth or without the need for neighboring teeth has made it one of the most preferred treatment methods.
What is the tooth implant treatment process and how many appointments are required for treatment?
Implant treatments in Aesthway clinics consist of two stages with the aim of increasing the success rate.
In the first stage, implants with proven reliability are placed in the jawbone. This process takes 1-3 days depending on the complexity of the case (number of implants and whether there are additional treatments such as bone augmentation). The insertion of an implant into the jawbone takes 10 to 15 minutes under local anesthesia and without pain, thanks to the experience of the maxillofacial surgeons at Aesthway. One, a maximum of two appointments are usually sufficient for implant surgery.
In the second stage, the implants are expected to fuse with the jaw bone (osseointegration). This period varies between 3 and 12 weeks depending on the brand and type of implant used. When the osseointegration period is completed, our patients need to visit our clinic once again to start the production of the teeth to be made on the implant. This stage varies between 4-7 days depending on the size and type of the prosthesis to be made. Two, a maximum of three short-term appointments are usually sufficient for the bonding of the teeth on the implant.
What material are implants made of and which implants are used in Aesthway clinics?
Over time, materials such as porcelain, carbon, sapphire, calcium phosphate, lead, dental acrylic resin, cobalt alloys, and steel have been used for dental implants. Today, dental implants available on the market are mostly made of high-purity titanium and zirconium, a durable ceramic type.
Titanium is often used in Aesthway clinics due to its biocompatible and tissue-compatible qualities, not causing allergic reactions and having high bone integration; rarely, tissue-friendly ceramic implants, which stand out in aesthetics with their white color, are also applied.
Who can have implants?
For implant treatment, the patient's general health condition and jawbone must be suitable for the operation. Free consultation with our dentists is recommended for individuals with chronic diseases or regular medication. Another condition required before implant treatment is the completion of tooth and jaw development. For this, patients are generally expected to reach the age of 18.
Is it normal to experience pain or blood after implant treatment?
The possibility of pain or bleeding after implant surgery varies from person to person. However, our team will do its best to ensure that you feel as little pain as possible and are more comfortable after the implant procedure. For this reason, do not use any pain medication or alternative treatment other than the advice of our dentists.
In addition, there are some daily rules to be observed by the patient after the implant. When these points are followed, postoperative pain is usually minimized, even if swelling occurs, it disappears within 2-3 days and sometimes does not occur at all.
In addition, it is possible to result to see blood in the area on the first 1 day after surgery. If bleeding occurs in the operation area in the following days, you can apply pressure on the operation area with sterile tampons or gauze in consultation with your dentist.
What should be considered after implant treatment?
- You can remove the gauze placed in your mouth and eat it one hour after the implant operation. You should avoid very hot or very cold foods for the first 24 hours.
- In addition, you should not drink beverages using a straw for at least 24 hours, and you should avoid grainy, small and hard foods such as rice, nuts, sunflower seeds, popcorn, etc. that can enter the surgical areas.
- Smoking delays wound healing and triggers pain. You should not smoke for at least the first few days, then reduce your intake of cigarettes until the wound healing is complete and, if possible, avoid them completely.
- During the first 24 hours after implant surgery, you should apply cold to the cheeks adjacent to the surgical area for ten minutes. This will minimize swelling. However, the cold application should be repeated after 10 minutes of application for 10 minutes, followed by a 10-minute break against the risk of ice burn. If our dentist has prescribed medication for swelling control, you should use it correctly.
- On the day of the surgical procedure, hot showers and exertional activities are prohibited. You should avoid heavy sports for the first three days.
- Proper oral hygiene after implant surgery accelerates healing and increases the success of the surgery. You can rinse your mouth gently with salt water and after 36 hours you can resume brushing your teeth. You can brush gently with soft bristled brushes. However, do not brush the stitched area for the first two weeks. It is also generally recommended to avoid mouthwash solutions for the first two weeks.
How many years do implants last and how long do they stay in the mouth?
If oral and dental health is given importance and dentist appointments are not interrupted, implants can be used for an average of 20 to 30 years, even for a lifetime without any problems.
In Aesthway clinics, we only work with implants with proven long-term success in order to provide quality service to our patients.